Monday, August 19, 2013

Design Wall Monday

Okay, one living at home and working full-time, two off at college, and the youngest with a new driver's license and off to high school. Whew, now to gather myself together after a terrific summer and see where I am on the sewing front. I put in some hours working on an old UFO, and think it was a wasted effort. It doesn't lay flat, when I added the first border it waved, so I ripped it off, remeasured, sewed it back on, and now the blocks will not lay flat. I am tired of it, and tired of the fabrics, so I will toss it into a corner and call it a loss. For more successful design walls, visit Judy at Patchwork Times.

9 comments:

  1. Just use a high loft batting when you quilt it, that will help fill in some of the areas. That's much too pretty to call a loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think it's beautiful. I love the colors, the way the geese go around the corners and the overall look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the flying geese quilt the one you're talking about? If so, don't abandon it--it's so pretty. There must be some way to salvage it. Maybe use a thicker batting and quilt the heck out of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, the not-flat may be because the sashing isn't right. Depending on how much more ripping you want to do, that may be the solution. Or give it a try and see if "it will quilt out." I do like the blue geese and especially the border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with everyone else It's a really nice quilt and it would be sad not to finish. On the other hand, if you totally, absolutely hate it, life is to short to keep messing with it. Maybe you can give it to someone else who'd like to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your colors! I bet if you basted it well and quilted it, it will quilt out the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great - I think the idea of a thicker batting and lots of quilting might make it OK. At least then you can donate it. It is beautiful and someone will love it, even if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone else......quilt it and I bet you won't even notice. Actually, I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, definitely use a loftier batting and it will quilt out just fine. Remember, finished and useable is better than perfect and unfinished any day. If you don't like it after it's finished, I'm sure someone in your family will give it a good home and love to snuggle up in it. It's way too pretty to be hidden in the closet and forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for commenting!